Applying Lean-Agile practices in the public sector with SAFe
Transitioning to Lean-Agile practices for building technology-based capabilities is especially challenging in the government context.
But issues of legacy governance, contracting, and organizational barriers can be overcome with the right information and strategies. During this two-day course, attendees will learn the principles and practices of the Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®), how to execute and release value through Agile Release Trains, and what it means to lead a Lean-Agile transformation of a program inside a government agency. Attendees gain an understanding of the Lean-Agile mindset and why it’s an essential foundation for transformation. They’ll also get practical advice on building high-performing, multi-vendor Agile teams and programs, managing technology investments in Lean flow, acquiring solutions with Agile contracting, launching the program, and planning and delivering value using SAFe. Attendees also learn how specific leadership behaviors can drive successful organizational change in government.
Attending the class prepares individuals to take the exam and become a certified SAFe® 5 Government Practitioner (SGP).
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Transition government programs from traditional software and systems development models to Lean-Agile and DevOps mindsets, principles, and practices using SAFe
- Adapt technology strategy, budgeting and forecasting, acquisition, compliance, and governance processes to flow based practices using emerging government guidelines
- Organize government programs into one or more Agile Release Trains (ARTs) and execute in Program Increments (PIs)
- Explore Large Solution coordination in a government and multi-vendor environment
- Identify and internalize the mindset and leader behaviors essential to successful Lean-Agile transformation
- Follow success patterns for SAFe implementations adapted to the government context
- Build a preliminary outline of next steps to begin and/or accelerate the SAFe implementation in your program or agency
This course is designed for government leaders and influencers who can guide the decision to adopt SAFe within their agency or program. Examples include:
- Executives, directors, branch chiefs
- Managers of development, engineering, QA, architecture, operations, support
- Program and project managers
- Program/Project Management Office (PMO)
There are no prerequisites to attend this course. However, meeting the following prerequisites will make the training more productive.
- A foundational understanding of the Agile Manifesto, SAFe House of Lean, and SAFe Principles is required using pre-work suggestions
- A foundational understanding of the full lifecycle of government technology programs is helpful
- Registered attendees will receive a list of readings and videos specific to Agile in government that will be beneficial to review before the course
Each student will receive a copy of the course documentation workbook prepared by Scaled Agile as well as membership to the SAFe Community Platform for one year ($100 renewal for each year thereafter).
- A certificate of completion will be issued to students who attend both days of this course
- Attendees may be eligible to apply for 16 PDUs toward their continuing education requirements with the Project Management Institute® (PMI®) for PMP, PgMP, and PMI-ACP certifications
- Attendees may be eligible to apply for SEUs under Category C, toward earning or renewing their CSP through the Scrum Alliance
Attending both days of this course prepares and qualifies individuals to take the exam and become a certified SAFe® 5 Government Practitioner (SGP). Students will be registered with Scaled Agile to take the SGP exam at their convenience within 30 days of attending the course.
Students who successfully pass the certification exam will receive a certificate and a digital badge to promote their achievement virtually.
- Format: Multiple choice; Multiple select
- Delivery: Web-based (single browser), closed book, no external assistance, timed
- Cost: First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Duration: Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of Questions: 45
- Language: English
- Retake Policy: Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.
- See the Scaled Agile website for more SGP exam details including the the current passing score and study materials. (The conditions of the additional Certification services are subject to the terms of the license owner or the authorized certification body.)
- Advancing Lean-Agile in government
- Embracing a Lean-Agile mindset
- Understanding SAFe Principles
- Creating high-performing Agile teams and programs
- Planning with cadence and synchronization
- Delivering value in Program Increments
- Mapping the path to agency and program agility
- Leading successful change
Explore all our SAFe Certification offerings!
PMI-PBA, PMI-ACP, CAPM, PMP, and PMI are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.