Develop the skillsets needed to guide the delivery of value in a Lean enterprise—and learn about the activities, tools, and mechanics used to manage backlogs and programs—by becoming a SAFe® 4 Product Owner/Product Manager (POPM).
This interactive course begins with the principles of Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), Lean thinking tools, agile development practices at scale, and an overview of the Scaled Agile Framework. Additionally, teams will learn the Product Manager and Product Owner roles in the enterprise, how to manage the enterprise backlog, delivering features, agile requirements, the events within SAFe, and stakeholder management.
At the end of this workshop, attendees will have the tools and knowledge they need to write epics, features, and user stories within the Scaled Agile Framework, and have a solid foundation on how to manage programs in the Lean-Agile Enterprise. Attendees will also gain an in-depth understanding of the Agile Release Train (ART), how it delivers value, and what they can do to effectively perform their role.
They will also learn how to apply Lean thinking to write Epics, break them down into Features and Stories, plan and execute Iterations, and plan Program Increments. Finally, attendees learn about the Continuous Delivery Pipeline and DevOps culture, how to effectively integrate as Product Owners and Product Managers, and what it takes to relentlessly improve the ART.
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Apply SAFe in the Lean enterprise
- Connect SAFe Lean-Agile principles and values to the PO/PM roles
- Collaborate with Lean Portfolio Management
- Explore continuous value with Program Increment Planning
- Execute the Program Increment and deliver continuous value
- Articulate the Product Owner and Product Manager roles
- Create a role action plan
- Manage the Enterprise Backlog
- Deliver features in the enterprise
- Understand Agile software requirements
- Manage Stakeholders
The following individuals will benefit from this course:
- Product Managers, Product Line Managers, Product Owners, Business Owners, and Business Analysts
- Solution Managers, Portfolio Managers, Program Managers, PMO personnel, and Process Leads
- Enterprise, Solution, and System Architects
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, the following prerequisites are highly recommended for those who intend to take the SAFe® 4 Product Owner/Product Manager (POPM) certification exam:
- Attend a Leading SAFe® course
- Experience working in a SAFe environment
- Experience with Lean, Agile, or other relevant certifications
The class registration includes:
- A copy of the official SAFe® by Scaled Agile documentation.
- Attendee workbook
- Preparation and eligibility to take the SAFe® 4Product Owner/Product Manager(POPM) exam
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Course certificate of completion
Attendees must attend both days of the course in order to qualify for the exam.
The teacher will introduce the contents using the demonstration method, through explanations, examples and videos, among other ways, the participants will assimilate the knowledge through the application or real practices.
Attendance certificate will be issued only to students with an attendance of more than 75%, and diploma will be issued to students who pass the evaluation test.
Attending the class prepares individuals to take the exam and become a certified SAFe® 4 Product Owner/Product Manager
Attendees who pass the certification exam will receive:
- SAFe Product Owner/Product Manager certificate
- A SAFe 4 Product Owner/Product Manager digital badge to promote your accomplishment online
- A one-year certified membership as a SAFe Product Owner/Product Manager, which includes access to the POPM Community of Practice
- A SAFe Product Owner/Product Manager certification usage guide with POPM certification marks
- Access to a variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey
Certificates expire one year from the date the certification is earned.
- Exam name: SAFe® 4 Product Owner/Product Manager Exam
- Exam format: Multiple choice
- Exam delivery: Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access: Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe 4 Product Owner/Product Manager course
- Exam duration: Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions: 45
- Passing score: 35 out of 45 (77% passing score)
- Language: English
- Exam cost: First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy: Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait. Contact email@example.com for any retake questions.
- Sample Test Questions
More information about the exam can be found here.
Attendees may be eligible to apply for 16 PDUs toward their continuing education requirements with the Project Management Institute (PMI) for PMP, PgMP, and PMI-ACP certifications.
Attendees may be eligible to apply for SEUs under category C, toward earning or renewing their CSP through Scrum Alliance.
- Applying SAFe in the Lean Enterprise
- Recognize the problem to be solved
- Explore SAFe foundations
- Relating a Lean-Agile Mindset to the PO/PM Roles
- Connect the Product Owner and Product Manager Roles
- Embrace a Lean-Agile Mindset
- Collaborating with Lean Portfolio Management
- Collaborate with the Lean Portfolio Management function
- Detail the role of the Epic Owner
- Use Lean Startup cycles to foster innovation
- Develop Epic hypothesis statements
- Contribute to a Lean Business Case
- Visualize flow using a Portfolio Kanban
- Elaborate Features for the Minimal Viable Product
- Continuously Explore Customer Needs
- Explore customer needs
- Synthesize information for the Vision and Roadmap
- Visualize Feature and Enabler flow using a Program Kanban
- Prioritize the Program Backlog
- Estimate and forecast the backlog
- Executing the Program Increment
- Create alignment with PI Planning
- Decompose Features into Stories
- Plan the Iteration
- Execute the PI
- Release on Demand
- Defining the PO/PM Roles and Responsibilities
- Characterize the roles of the Product Owner and Product Manager
- Examine other key program collaboration roles
- Creating your PO/PM Action Plan
- Develop a personal PO/PM action Plan
- Create a personal PO/PM improvement roadmap
- Commit to the plans