ITIL v4 Certifications
IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL®) is a collection of the best IT service management practices and, in recent years, has spread its use in organizations of all sectors and sizes, becoming a de facto standard by the market. ITIL was developed in the 1980s with the influence of the OGC and the British trade office; its primary goal is to define a management model that helps organizations realize their business strategies. ITIL consists of a series of 5 books that describe guidelines for offering quality IT services. These five volumes map the entire IT services lifecycle, starting with identifying customer needs and translating them to IT requirements, following the design and implementation of IT services that give an appropriate response to these needs, and ending with the continuous management and improvement of these services.
ITIL is not a methodology; it is a set of best practices that must be adapted to the specific needs of an organization and that are easily integrated with other standards and models such as Lean IT, ISO 20000, ISO 270000, and TOGAF®. One complaint about ITIL® is that it is often considered to be bureaucratic, heavy, and complicated. However, this is largely because many organizations who have tried to adopt it have done so without taking the characteristics of their organization and equipment into account. In these situations, the problem is not ITIL itself, but the inadequate adoption of ITIL.
ITIL is currently going through an evolution from ITIL v3 to ITIL 4. The new version expands on the previous by “providing a practical and flexible basis to support organizations on their journey to the new world of digital transformation. It provides an end-to-end IT/digital operating model for the delivery and operation of tech-enabled products and services and enables IT teams to continue to play a crucial role in wider business strategy.” For more information, please see our article on the transition (complete with infographics).
Lead Trainer and Mentor in IT Governance
Business Development Manager
Marc Àngel Rodríguez
Luis Miguel Rosa Nieto
Head of Enterprise Transformation
ITIL and IT Governance Associate Trainer
Data Solutions Lead Trainer
ITIL 4 Certification
ITIL 4 Foundation Level
This level of certification is for professionals looking to obtain a basic knowledge of ITIL. It offers an overview of the Service Value System, as well as its main elements. The main objective is for candidates to understand the links between the different elements of the Service Value System, 4 Dimensions of Service Management, activities of the Service Value Chain, and primary ITIL Practices.
ITIL Foundation is a prerequisite for all advanced level certifications. We recommend ITIL Foundation to all professionals involved in the provision of IT services.
If you are ITIL v3 Foundation certified (with no higher level certifications), the next step is to take the ITIL 4 Foundation exam in order to transition into the new scheme. Due to the large amount of new material in ITIL 4, a new exam is required to obtain the ITIL 4 Foundation certification.
The ITIL 4 Foundation exam launched on February 28, 2019. The ITIL 4 Foundation course is recommended for those who do not currently possess ITIL v3 Foundation certification and will be starting their ITIL certification journey in the ITIL 4 scheme.
Directors and Managers of IT and business areas; Consultants, Service Providers, Service Development and Support Personnel, and in general all those interested in better provision and delivery of high-quality IT services.
There are no prerequisites to take the exam. However, it is recommended that attendees have 1 year of work experience in the IT sector.
- Number of Questions: 40
- Format: Multiple Choice
- Delivery: At the end of class or online, administered by PeopleCert
- Cost: $363.00
- Duration: Once the exam begins candidates have 1 hour to complete the exam
- Pass mark: 65% (26 of 40)
- Language: English, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Spanish
- See the ITIL® website for more ITIL 4 Foundation exam details. (The conditions of the additional Certification services are subject to the terms of the license owner or the authorized certification body.)
ITIL v3 Intermediate LevelThis level of certification will be replaced by ITIL 4 Managing Professional (ITIL MP) and ITIL Strategic Leader (ITIL SL) certifications in the second half of 2019.
- If you have less than 6 credits (in addition to the 2 received in Foundation), it is recommended to wait until ITIL 4 courses are released.
- If you have more than 6 credits (in addition to the 2 received in Foundation), it is recommended to continue in version 3 until you reach 17 credits and then complete the ITIL 4 Managing Professional (MP) Transition.
ITIL v3 Courses
- ITIL Service Capability – Operational Support & Analysis
- ITIL Service Capability – Planning, Protection & Optimization
- ITIL Service Capability – Release, Control & Validation
- ITIL Service Capability – Service Offerings & Agreement
- ITIL Service Lifecycle – Continual Service Improvement
- ITIL Service Lifecycle – Managing Across the Lifecycle
- ITIL Service Lifecycle – Service Design
- ITIL Service Lifecycle – Service Operation
- ITIL Service Lifecycle – Service Strategy
- ITIL Service Lifecycle – Service Transition